In this section different varieties of payasam is discussed.
vermicelli or semiya payasam
- Vermicelli - 1 ladle full
- Sugar - 6 tbl.sp.
- Milk - 200 ml. (boiled)
- Cardamom - 2
- Cashewnut - 4
- Raisins - 8
- water - 100 ml.
- Kesari powder - a pinch (optional)
- Ghee - 2 tsp.
method of preparation
- In a 2 tsp. of ghee, fry the vermicelli to a reddish brown and keep aside.
- In a vessel add 100 ml of water to this add sugar and keep boiling until the sugar dissolved well.
- Now add the boiled milk to the vessel keep boiling for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the fried vermicelli to this vessel and mix well without lumps will be formed.
- When the vermicelli is cooked well remove from the fire.
- Now add powdered cardomom and kesari powder (saffrons and pachaikarpuram may be added as flavourings) to a small quantity of milk and mix well with the payasam.
- Fry the cashewnuts and raisins in a tsp of ghee and add to the payasam.
- If available milk can be used in place of water for boiling vermicelli then you will get a milk payasam.
Milk payasam | Rice payasam | Aval payasam | Carrot payasam | Jackfruit payasam