- Pasi paruppu or moong dal (green gram dhal)- 1/2 cup
- Jaggery - 1/4 cup
- Ghee - 2 tsp
- Cashewnuts - 6
- Raisins - 6
- Cardamom - 2 powdered.
- Milk - 1/2 cup. (optional)
method of preparation
- Fry green gram dhal with little ghee in a low flame for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup of water or milk to the dhal in a vessel and pressure cook for 2 whistle. The dhal should not be over cooked.
- After cooked well smash the dhal and keep aside.
- Mix jaggery in a small quantity of water and filter it.
- Add the Jaggery extract to the payasam keep boiling for 5 minutes.
- To get the payasam consistency add some more water or milk.
- Fry cashewnuts and raisins in the ghee and add to the payasam.
- Add cardamom powder also.
- Serve hot. Grated coconut can also be added to this payasam for more taste.
Milk payasam | Rice payasam | Aval payasam | Carrot payasam | Jackfruit payasam